palace of the guzmans 
 

Lenguaje de SignosFotos Panorámicas en 360º


Headquarters of the Diputación
(Provincial Government) of León.

 

Built at the orders of Juan Quiñones y Guzmán, Bishop of Calahorra, work began in 1560 under the direction of Rodrigo Gil de Hontañón. The building was acquired by the provincial government in 1882 and was enlarged in the period 1973-1976 by the architect Felipe Moreno. It is trapezoidal in shape. The first two storeys have lights protected by grilles, while the balconies of the first floor have lintels. The top storey has a gallery with little arches between Corinthian columns and large gargoyles. It has two 16th-century doorways, one of them with ionic columns flanked by two soldiers bearing the Guzmán family arms.

 


Courtyard of the Palace of the Guzmáns

The ground floor overlooking the courtyard has segmental arches on ionic columns and the floor above it has basket-handle arches. There is an interesting stairway with three flights.

 

 
Ayuntamiento de León, Av. Ordoño II nº 10, 24001, León         Tlfno centralita: 987 895 500       Atencion ciudadana: 010
condiciones legales   |    accesibilidad   |   Contacto